Single Status Affidavit


Categories: ,


If you are planning on getting married outside your country of birth you may be asked to submit an affidavit of single status signed in front of a notary public, and most likely apostilled or legalized to be acceptable in the country where you’re getting married.

If you’re being asked for a single proof to get married, it will be difficult for you to retrieve a document certifying your single status in all states within the US unless you are able to retrieve a Certificate of No Record of a Marriage.  This is why the most common way to prove this is by using a “Single Status Affidavit” which is not a government issued document but it’s a sworn affidavit letter from the affiant signed in front of a notary public, it is sometimes also called “Free to marry statement”, “Single Proof Letter”, “Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage” or “Single Status Letter”.

Download a single status affidavit for only $35 USD

After downloading you’ll only need to confirm it has all the details you need in the country of use. After confirming, fill it out and sign it in front of a notary public. It is very important that the notary uses a proper “jurat” or “acknowledgement” according to the state where the notary is registered, this way there shouldn’t be any issues while processing your apostille or legalization in case that you also need it.

 In case that you need to have this single status affidavit apostilled, legalized and translated, click here to start the process…


Welcome to Apostilla.com, do you need help with your apostilles or translations? (Hablamos español)